Introduction to Depression
Around 25 million Americans are suffering from depression every year. What’s more, women are more likely to experience this condition than men.
Depression is defined as a state of mind producing serious, long-term lowering of enjoyment of life or an inability to visualize a happy future. It is also a period of unhappiness or low morale which lasts longer than several weeks and may include ideation of suicide or self-inflicted injury.
Depression has been ranked as the top 10 major causes of death in the world. This issue should have taken seriously because people who have this literally end their lives. Depression is also identified as a contributor to a person’s disability. People who are depressed may have tried to end their lives because they didn’t see the positive sides of it.
Depression is a life-threatening condition if left untreated. People who often experienced it are those individuals who are not used to share failures and other problems with family and friends. They keep the traumatic and painful experiences within themselves, and when the sad feelings get extended far down, it could already be already difficult to manage.
The openness is one of the most effective ways to apply for this situation. To each member of the family or circle group of friends, depression can be prevented. Acceptance should also be practiced to avoid dealing with suicide decision. Hence, everybody needs to be aware of the causes and symptoms of depression.
Common Reasons Behind Depression
One of the most brilliant ways to attain prevention is first to know the causes of something. Knowing and understanding the causes of depression would help you to appreciate this type of condition further. If you haven’t noticed, people give their judgment to those who are depressed without thinking about the reasons behind. For your awareness, the causes of depression will be discussed as you read further.
This condition may be due to a discrepant combination of things. It includes genetic, psychological, biological, and environmental factors. However, with this point given by researchers, they believe that the mentioned condition is done by an imbalance neurotransmitter (substance, like acetylcholine or dopamine, highly responsible for sending nerve signals across a synapse in between of two neurons) even though it hasn’t been proven.
By way of using Magnetic Resonance imaging (MRI), the difference between the brain of people with depression and without depression can be seen. As per the use of this technology, researchers have found that the brain of a depressed individual looks different more of this technology.
Despite this discovery, studies cannot unfold the occurrence of depression. Even though depression can be in genetic, there are still people who are suffering from this condition who don’t have a depression family history. If it happens that some individuals already have it, the depressive episode can be triggered by life events which include the following:
- Loss of loved ones. Too much thinking of the person you have lost may trigger the depressive episode you have inside. It would be better if you learned to accept the reality, continue to live life, and move forward.
- Trauma. Traumatic experiences can have a big probability of activating depression. The victim can’t help himself from mulling over a frightening experience that happened.
- Relationship issues. Brokenness can lead to extreme sadness, but acceptance may be one of the keys to overcoming the period of low morale so-called depression.
- Alcohol or drug abuse. This factor is very common. When a person is intoxicated, he doesn’t have a capacity to solve problems.
- Medical conditions. Too much agony from a health condition can really trigger depression. The pain that is associated with the painful condition may affect a person’s way of thinking.
- Other medications. Some medications really affect the quality of life of the patient. This includes chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and others. A weak body cannot handle too much pressure.
Depression Leads To A Nervous Breakdown
Nervous breakdown is not a joke. When your friend has this kind of condition, he must be treated. A nervous breakdown may be considered as a mental health crisis that truly requires appropriate treatment and follows up care. It occurs when someone has no longer a capability to cope with the stress he experiences in his life. Because of this, he may be not functioning with his duties, such as in the workplace, school, home, and some aspects of his life.
This condition can be given solution if it would be discovered earlier if it happens to be that late, suicidal can happen. This situation happens in a variety of reasons and to tell you, depression is one of the symptoms of nervous breakdown. Depressed individual needs somebody to boosts them up.
Depression really plays a big factor in the development of the nervous breakdown. That is why simple stress should be managed, and everybody should learn how to cope with it. If these stressful activities have been left unfixed, this factor may also be considered. It is truly important that you have adequate awareness of the early signs of a nervous breakdown so that solutions can be provided. To be familiarized with its signs, these things are hereby provided as follows:
- Changes in sleeping habits
- Feeling pressured
- Excessive feelings of anxiety or depression
- Mood swings
- Gastrointestinal manifestations, such as diarrhea and upset stomach
- Become lazy with proper hygiene and personality development
- An increase in the use of alcoholic drinks (for coping stress)
- Weight loss or weight gain. This happens due to changes in eating habits
- Feeling overwhelmed
- Failure to function in sexually related activities
- Difficulty in thinking, remembering important things, accomplishing desirable results, and concentrating on something.
Not getting treatment for anxiety, depression and other mental obstacles may result in nervous breakdown. Now that you are already aware of its early signs do some relaxation techniques to cope with your problems. Problems are created to be solved not to be problemed forever.
You can always talk to the counselors or psychologists to ease the burdens that you have. Their advice is worthy to be followed and applied. Stop yourself from keeping problems and painful experiences; let go of it and move forward in step by step process. If there’s a need for medication, talk to your doctor or any medical professionals to avoid regrets in the end.